[cups.general] Enable Browsing on OS X

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 10:35:32 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> This seems to be a common issue, but I'm not having luck following the suggested fixes.
>
> I have Ubuntu as a spooler.  My other Linux machines see the spooler (and its printers) just fine.  But, not in OS X.
> I thought this was the answer:
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2320604&tstart=240
>
> cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=3DCUPS
>
> But, OS X is still not listing the shared printers.  Details of my config below.

You won't see the printers automatically in the print dialog in Snow Leopard. Instead you have to "add" the printers (which really just makes them visible) - just look for the "CUPS Shared" printers in the list of available printers in the Add Printer window.

> Also, both of my printers are network printers.  On Linux I get zeroconf notifications about the printers being discovered.  The OS X machine doesn't seem to see them.  Is that also cups related?

On Snow Leopard they should appear in the list of "nearby printers". If that isn't working, make sure the Mac is on the same subnet.