[cups.general] Enable Browsing on OS X

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 12:14:23 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:43 AM, Bill Moseley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
>> cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=3DCUPS
>>
>> But, OS X is still not listing the shared printers.  Details of my config below.
> You won't see the printers automatically in the print dialog in Snow Leopard. Instead you have to "add" the printers (which really just makes them visible) - just look for the "CUPS Shared" printers in the list of available printers in the Add Printer window.
>
> Is there a way at the command line to see what it has detected by browsing?

lpstat -p

> I don't see any "CUPS Shared printers".  This is just Leopard (10.5.8), not Snow Leopard so maybe the difference in the interface.

They should still appear in Add Printer - more than likely your Macs are on a different subnet from the Ubuntu server, which will prevent them from receiving the broadcasts from the server.

> Add Printer leads to the Print & Fax add printers dialog with "Default Fax IP Windows Bluetooth AppleTalk More Printers" listed at the top.
>
> If I click on "IP" and select "Protocol: Internet Printing Protocol - IPP" and enter the hostname of the spooler (bumby2) no printers are shown.  Well, on the bottom half of that dialog is shows:

The IP pane doesn't query the server for a list of printers - that is a CUPS-specific operation and the IP pane is generally for hooking up actual IPP (or LPD or socket) printers, not for adding shared printers.

> If I have multiple users sharing these printers isn't it best to send print jobs to the spooler instead of directly to the printers?

A central server can make it easy to provide drivers, accounting, access control, guaranteed level of service, etc., however there is nothing wrong with printing directly - you'll actually get the prints out faster and on small networks it is usually simpler as well.