[cups.general] Enable Browsing on OS X

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Feb 4 15:54:08 PST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:37 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
> moseley at bumby2:~$ ssh toby lpstat -p
> printer HP_Color_LaserJet_2605dn__11A7D1_ is idle.  enabled since Mon May 11 22:10:18 2009
>
> moseley at bumby2:~$ ssh tiger lpstat -p
> printer Color-LaserJet-CM1312nfi-MFP is idle.  enabled since Tue 12 Jan 2010 10:09:25 AM PST
> printer HP-Color-LaserJet-2605 is idle.  enabled since Thu 04 Feb 2010 09:58:48 AM PST
> printer Photosmart-C4500 is idle.  enabled since Thu 04 Feb 2010 12:18:05 PM PST

What about "lpstat -p" on bumby2?

> The IP pane doesn't query the server for a list of printers - that is a CUPS-specific operation and the IP pane is generally for hooking up actual IPP (or LPD or socket) printers, not for adding shared printers.
>
> I'm not clear.  Should I click on the "Default" button on the top of the add printers dialog and see "CUPS" under "Kind" heading?  I'm only seeing my two printers listed as "Bonjour".  I can add them that way, it seems but I'm still wondering why it's not seeing the spooler "bumby2".

Yeah, they should show up under the Default pane.

Make sure the Mac system's /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file contains:

    Browsing On
    BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
    BrowseOrder allow,deny
    BrowseAllow @LOCAL

Also, make sure that cupsd is running:

    ps ax | grep cupsd

If it isn't, you'll never see the shared printers show up.

>> If I have multiple users sharing these printers isn't it best to send print jobs to the spooler instead of directly to the printers?
>

> A central server can make it easy to provide drivers, accounting, access control, guaranteed level of service, etc., however there is nothing wrong with printing directly - you'll actually get the prints out faster and on small networks it is usually simpler as well.
>
> Ok, will do.  You mentioned drivers -- can the driver be installed on the print server and not have to install a driver on the clients?  I thought the clients all needed drivers.  That would be helpful (as we have dozens of printers are work).

For CUPS shared printers, the drivers are all on the server and the client just grabs the PPD file to display the driver options.  All conversion/processing happens on the server.