Windows 7 64bit and the cups driver

Jakob Lenfers lenfers at bigsss-bremen.de
Tue Feb 9 06:32:06 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm running cups (1.3.7) with a samba server (3.0.28). I've installed
the windows cups printer drivers (6.0) and set everything up. Our
Windows XP Clients can now drag and drop the printers to their machine,
which works great.

Now I've got Windows 7 64bit Clients and created an x64 directory just
like the old W32X86. I can see in the logfile, that the client connects
to the share and those files below x64. But it throws an error
(0x000000c1) and can't install the driver. I suspect that the drivers I
downloaded from cups aren't compatible with 64bit.

Can anyone tell me, what the best solution for this is? I want to be
able to automaticly get the driver on windows and use the cups features
(set banner etc) on the client.

I tried searching the group here a bit, but couldn't find any solution.
But that has to be a common problem or is my setup so unique/subpar?

TIA,
Jakob