Configure cupsd.conf for local root access without password

Stephen scarey_man at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 10 01:22:04 PST 2010

I'm fairly new to CUPS and am grappling with the authentication side of things.

This is what I'm trying to do.
1.  Control access to the Web Interface with a single username/pwd.
    This will be used by Admin folks only.

2.  Allow local user ROOT to enable/disable printers from the command line without password prompt.

3.  Allow remote servers to send print requests to the CUPS server.
    For this I'm using a Perl module Net::Printer.

I have the following:
   <Location /printers>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
       AuthType Digest
       Require valid-user
       Allow from 10.182.25.*
   </Location>
Remote UNIX servers cannot send to CUPS, but the Web Interface correctly prompts for a username/pwd.

If I have:
   <Location /printers>
       Order deny,allow
       Deny from all
       Allow from 10.182.25.*
   </Location>
then my remote UNIX servers can send to CUPS correctly, but the Web Interface is not protected.

Also, what do I need to prevent the accept/disable commands prompting for a password at the Local command line?