[cups.general] configuring cups [please help]

Krishna Kumar krishna.kumar at nechclst.in
Thu Feb 11 07:14:16 PST 2010

Dear All,

I am new to cups and I have followed following steps to configure printer on my linux client machine [ for my HP LJ M 4345 MFP printer attached with ethernet port in my organization ( its configured fine and working well for windows machines ) ] :

1. yum install *cups*

2. open a browser and type http://localhost:631/printers/

3. add a new printer & choose the device --- IPP

4. Put the device uri for new printer --- ipp://10.0.0.30/ipp/

5. Make manufacturer for new printer ( here Hp laser jet ) and select the corresponding driver  ( hp laser jet 4345 mfp postscript )
   or you can give your own PDP file which is downloaded from open source
[ actually these are the alternative ways to do the same work --- http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_4345_MFP ]

6. This will add the new printer in your PC . Now you can give appropriate command to the connected printer for printing purpose.

It worked and now I can take print outs. But now I have following confusion :

1 . Is there any requirement of  setting of printer server and corresponding printer driver ( if I am using PPD file ) ?

2. I have not installed any HPLJM 4345 driver on my machine , even I can give print command from my machine ? I don't know weather I am using already configured windows driver or my PPD file is doing all the magic ? Please clear the confusion.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Krishna Kumar
Senior Storage Engineer

Why do we have to die? If we have to die, and everything is gone after that, then nothing else matters on this earth - everything is temporary, at least relative to me.

DISCLAIMER:
intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or NECHCL or its
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of NECHCL or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. .