[cups.general] Kindly clear the confusion

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Feb 12 00:49:12 PST 2010

Hello,

On Feb 12 12:26 Krishna Kumar wrote (shortened):
> Can anyone please tell me if the printer supports ppd then there is no
> need of corresponding printer driver. PPD will does all the work.

If I understand you correctly, you ask when a PPD file alone
is sufficient to print with CUPS and when a PPD file plus
a matching driver program is needed for printing.

I think
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
in particular the sections "PPD Files"
and "The Filter (includes the Driver)"
should be helpful here.

In short:
For PostScript printers, the PPD file alone is sufficient
but non-PostScript printers require a driver program
plus a matching PPD file.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex