Problem stapling paper from multiple trays

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Feb 19 03:00:27 PST 2010

Roger Bull wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I print from a web app through a Mac OS X Server running cups using LPR.
> The web app creates a pdf file then prints it by executing a LPR command
> line.  The printers are HP LaserJet 4250DTN with Stapler/Stackers
>
> I have been unable to accomplish the following result:
> 1. print page 1 from tray 3
> 2. print all remaining pages from tray 2
> 3. send all to stapler and staple them all
>
> I can do 1 and 2 OR 3 but not all three steps together.
>
> Here is an example of what I am trying (does not work):
> lpr -o page-ranges=1 -o media=Tray3_500 -o MediaType=Color -o
> page-ranges=2-10 -o MediaType=Plain -o OutputBin=UStapler -o
> HPStaplerOptions=1Angled filename
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> -Roger

You'd have to wait until CUPS fuilly supports collection attributes,
especially the page-overrides collection attribute. Your command would then
read
lpr -o page-overrides={pages=1 media=Tray3_500 MediaType=Color} -o
MediaType=Plain -o OutputBin=UStapler -o HPStaplerOptions=1Angled filename

Until then (perhaps CUPS 1.5.x ???) I think you'd have to either write a
special filter to handle these attributes (they should be passed to the
filter's option string intact) or insert the page overrides by other means.

Helge