[cups.general] Getting Printer Options via IPP/HTTP

Ulrich Mayring ulim at denic.de
Fri Feb 19 10:08:12 PST 2010

Hi all,

is there any way to get the media trays of a printer via IPP (HTTP)?

Specifically we are unsuccessful to programmatically get the available media
trays from a remote Cups printer, whereas it works perfectly on a local Cups
printer queue that is connected to the remote queue via IPP.

So I am looking for a way to debug this. Basically a command (be it IPP/HTTP
or via lpoptions) that will show me the trays when directed at the local
printer, so I can see what happens when I direct it at the remote printer.

Running lpoptions -p Local-Printer -l doesn't actually return the media
trays, however programmatic access works (via the standard Java Printing API).

Many thanks in advance,

Ulrich