[cups.general] One cups-server, 2 networks, specific printers visible in specific networks.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 19 15:29:14 PST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Andreas Bogacki wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a quick question on how to get the following setup working.
> I have one cups server which is connected to multiple networks (net-a and net-b).
> I have multiple printers (printer-a and printer-b) configured on that server.
> Now I want to be able to browse the server from both networks and only see printer-a in net-a and printer-b in net-b.
> Is there a sollution for this right now? If not, is something like that planned for future releases.

Not for a single server.  Basically we've looked at implementing selective advertising but there are too many edge cases and too many changes we'd have to do at lower levels (in LDAP, SLP, Bonjour, etc.) to support it.

What you can do, however, is run multiple cupsd instances, with one cupsd handling net-a and the other handling net-b.  The clients would need no special configuration for this, just the server.