[cups.general] Getting Printer Options via IPP/HTTP

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 19 15:46:33 PST 2010

On Feb 18, 2010, at 3:45 AM, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there any way to get the media trays of a printer via IPP (HTTP)?
>
> Specifically we are unsuccessful to programmatically get the available media
> trays from a remote Cups printer, whereas it works perfectly on a local Cups
> printer queue that is connected to the remote queue via IPP.
>
> So I am looking for a way to debug this. Basically a command (be it IPP/HTTP
> or via lpoptions) that will show me the trays when directed at the local
> printer, so I can see what happens when I direct it at the remote printer.

OK, so for CUPS and in particular lpoptions, you'll only get usable values when there is a PPD file. For remote printers we *do* automatically grab the PPD from the remote server, but only if the local queue is "raw" or auto-discovered.

> Running lpoptions -p Local-Printer -l doesn't actually return the media
> trays, however programmatic access works (via the standard Java Printing API).

The Java Printing API is probably just reporting IPP media attribute values and not the corresponding PPD options.