[cups.general] One cups-server, 2 networks, specific printers visible in specific networks.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 19 17:31:07 PST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 4:45 PM, Andreas Bogacki wrote:
> Are there any problems to be expected when I have one printer getting print jobs from multiple cups instances/servers at the same time? (thinking about 5 instances/servers hitting the printer with 20 larger jobs each. Would it not be quite random which job gets printed at what time?)

Most printers only accept a single connection at a time, so the output order will be mostly random between servers depending on the load. You can run an extra cupsd (that doesn't share its printers) for the common printers and point the external cupsd's at the internal server to get "fair" scheduling of jobs, although that will make job control a little more complicated.

> I wish there was a clean solution for that.

Unfortunately, this kind of configuration is rare enough that we haven't been able to justify the amount of time (or added complexity in CUPS) to implement it, especially when running multiple cupsd instances solves the problem.