[cups.general] Can not cancel a completed job ?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Feb 22 04:46:59 PST 2010

Salatiel Filho wrote:

> i am trying to purge all completed jobs , but for some reason if i run
> cancel over a completed job i can not purge it, but if i do cancel -a
> QUEUE it purge all jobs including completed ones.
>

> # cancel TESTE-410
> cancel: cancel-job failed: Job #410 is already completed - can't cancel.
> # cancel -a TESTE
>

> RH 5.4 , cups 1.3.7
>
> What am i doing wrong ?
> What is the right way to purge completed jobs ?
> Thanks;

I think it is a bug; file a bug report.
Currently, I suspect you only can do the following
(1) shut down cupsd
(2) manually delete the respective control files (/var/spool/cups/cxxxxx,
    xxxxx the jog ID, e.g. 00410); you need to do this as root or under sudo
(3) start cupsd again.

Helge

PS. you could also limit the job history maximum (default 500) by editing
cupsd.conf