[cups.general] CUPS Driver

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Feb 23 07:06:02 PST 2010

Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Feb 22 11:17 Tom Roth wrote (shortened):
>> Has anyone come across a CUPS driver for
>> an HP Linejet 1000Q printer?
>
> Which kind of document type do you like to print on such
> a Line-Matrix impact printer?
>
> Probably not the nowadays usual office documents like PDFs
> with many nice colored graphics included but instead
> I guess you may like to print only plain ASCII text.
>
> If I am right you may not need a special driver at all because
> I assume that those printers can print plain ASCII text directly.
>
> You may have a look first at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installing_a_Printer
> and then perhaps regarding "use a dot matrix printer
> to fill in forms with carbon copies on continuous stock" see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner

This printer originally speaks PCL-II, but I do not know any PCL generating
driver that restricts itself to this dialect.
But, as the printer by default supports the IBM Proprinter III XL emulation,
you could use the Ghostscript built-in ibmpro driver.

The amount of hacking around this starting point will depend on the sources
of the print jobs for this printer, of course.

Helge