[cups.general] CUPS Driver

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Feb 23 07:33:57 PST 2010

Hello,

On Feb 23 07:06 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
>> On Feb 22 11:17 Tom Roth wrote (shortened):
>>> Has anyone come across a CUPS driver for
>>> an HP Linejet 1000Q printer?
>>
>> Which kind of document type do you like to print on such
>> a Line-Matrix impact printer?
>>
>> Probably not the nowadays usual office documents like PDFs
>> with many nice colored graphics included but instead
>> I guess you may like to print only plain ASCII text.
>
> This printer originally speaks PCL-II, but I do not know any PCL generating
> driver that restricts itself to this dialect.
> But, as the printer by default supports the IBM Proprinter III XL emulation,
> you could use the Ghostscript built-in ibmpro driver.

As far as I know any Ghostscript driver will run the printer
in graphics printing mode because it is bitmap image data
what Ghostscript sends to its drivers so that e.g.

   echo "Hello" | lp -d queue

would render the plain ASCII text "Hello" by Ghostscript
and the Ghostscript driver will then send the bitmap data
to the printer as printer-specific graphics commands
which prints usually very much slower and often more ugly
for plain text than in contrast when the printer directly
prints plain ASCII text like in

   echo -en "\rHello\r\f" | lp -d queue -o raw

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex