How to get a class to support duplexing?

Steve Gaarder gaarder1 at math.cornell.edu
Fri Feb 26 08:00:22 PST 2010

> I'd report the problem to the app developers - the cupsGetPPD API will =
> get the PPD for the first printer in the class and the capabilities =
> reported via IPP will also indicate the appropriate duplex and media =
> values.

When I sniffed the network traffic, I saw that the machine running Firefox sent
a GET for /printers/class-name.ppd, which came back as 404.  So there was no PPD offered at all.  This is with CUPS 1.3.

In the meantime, I came up with a workaround:  Create a printer with a simple backend Perl script that re-queues the file (via lpr) to the class.  Give that printer an appropriate PPD.

thanks,

Steve Gaarder