[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3493: w3c validation of cups web interface

Jon Peatfield jp107 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 13:28:35 PST 2010

[STR New]

I couldn't set the priority lower than RFE but this is really a very very
low priority indeed!

It would be nice if someone or something checked that all the web pages
generated by cups pass w3c validation.

e.g. atm I get various errors like:

$ validate http://cups-serv.damtp.cam.ac.uk:631/printers/
*** Errors validating http://cups-serv.damtp.cam.ac.uk:631/printers/: ***
Error at line 134, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 186, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 238, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 290, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 342, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 394, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 446, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 498, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 550, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements
Error at line 602, character 12:  end tag for element "P" which is not
        open; try removing the end tag or check for improper nesting of
        elements

The line numbers probably depend on what printers are present.  These
errors seem to be because of a <p>...</p> inside a table element which
isn't allowed but there may well be other errors or warnings which depend
on the optional parts of the various templates being turned on.

Maybe something should be added to the regression testing to validate all
kinds of pages - which I assume the test-harness can probably do.

I've checked this on the cups-1.3.x we have on our linux machines and also
on the version of 1.3 included with MacOSX 10.5, and I'm pretty sure that
this is with the standard set of templates...

Sorry for not checking on anything newer.

 -- Jon

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3493
Version:  -feature