[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3488: BrowsePoll does not work with a client.conf setting ServerName

Jon Peatfield jp107 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 08:36:55 PST 2010

[STR New]

Is ServerName A is set in client.conf then the really *should* see the same
set of printers as locally on A.

On a machine here (not running cupsd) I can test a similar(ish) setup and
it seems ok to me, e.g.

$ grep -i '^servername' /etc/cups/client.conf
ServerName cups-serv.damtp.cam.ac.uk
$ lpstat -v | wc -l
     50
$ CUPS_SERVER=lapserv lpstat -v | wc -l
    104

(lapserv being a cups server which picks up all of it's printers using
BrowsePoll)

BrowseRelay is of course for sending CUPS/IPP adverts so should not be
relevant if the clients are using ServerName.  ie it only matters if they
are picking up the list of printers by listening for the broadcast
adverts.

At least with older versions of cups (1.3.x) BrowseRelay works for us in
some slightly odd setups. We also found that the suggested

  BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 @LOCAL

didn't work though since we didn't want the traffic sent to *all* local
interfaces (for complicated reasons) so ended up with multiple lines,
listing the various broadcast addresses we want the traffic sent to. e.g.

BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 172.16.219.255
BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 172.16.19.255
BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 172.16.216.255

each of which corresponds to the broadcast address for a network interface
that client machines are connected to.

Note that if clients don't recognise the destination address as a valid
broadcast address they will ignore them.

Have you checked running tcpdump on a client to see if the CUPS/IPP
adverts are being seen?

 -- Jon

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3488
Version: 1.4.2