Gray background stripes

Paul Newall p.newalls at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 10 05:36:25 PST 2010

I'm writing a driver for a Kodak ESP AIO printer.
Now I have a cups driver that prints.
It a monochrome only driver that translates from cups raster format to the Kodak format.

Currently the problem is that my black text has a pale gray background (it should be white). The gray apears as a stripe behind the text, like a gray highlighter pen. Between the lines of text the background is white.

I suspect the problem is in my filter and it's going to be hard to debug because the printer data is compressed in JBIG format so I can't just look at the data to see what's wrong.

But maybe I'll get lucky and someone will recognise this problem and suggest what the cause might be?