[cups.development] Snow Leopard printingerror:/usr/libexec/cups/backend/lpd failed

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Feb 15 08:23:18 PST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 11:06 PM, akbar wrote:
>> Dell printers also support port 9100 - try using "AppSocket" instead of =
>> "LPD".
>>
>> On Feb 14, 2010, at 9:50 PM, akbar wrote:
>

> Thanks for your quick response.
>
> Based on your reply I had configured Queue name using "AppSocket ".Now i am able to print from Snow Leopard .
>
> But My requirement is to hold the job in the print queue and I have to authorize the job to print.
>
> but with this AppSocket approach I am not able to hold job.
>
> Scenario is this
>
> If I have given print from text edit I am able to see the job in  print Queue and immediately I clicked on hold Icon of print Queue, status changed to hold but job went to printer ( job is printed).
>
> What might be the problem .Can I control the job using AppSocket approach?

This is what is known as a "race condition", and there is no reliable way to hold the job after printing and still prevent output.

You need to hold the job by default; you can do this by choosing "hold indefinitely" from the "Scheduling" PDE or run the following Terminal command to set the hold option as the default for a particular printer:

    lpadmin -p queuename -o job-hold-until-default=indefinite

You can find the queuename by running "lpstat -p" in the Terminal - it is typically the name that appears in the print dialog with all spaces and non-alphanumeric characters replaced with the underscore, e.g. "My Printer" has a queuename of "My_Printer".