multi tray

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Feb 15 10:05:44 PST 2010

atze wrote:

>> > hi,
>> > I didn't find anything in the api - is it possible to switch the
>> > printer tray within a printjob? Is there another way to do that?
>> > greets, andreas.
>>
>> Yes, but there is no CUPS API to do that. You need to insert the
>> respective statements into the job data at the proper posotion(s),
>> preferably just before the page where it is to get active.
>>
>> Helge
>>
> Helge, thank you for you fast answer. Just to fill in some missing gaps -
> If I want to print a pdf to different trays, I have to filter it to ps
> myself and then add the appropriate ps commands in the ps, right?
Yes, but see the note below.

> Somehow this didn't seem to work - am I missing something? Do you maybe
> have a simple 2 page ps that does that? atze.
>
> %%BeginPageSetup
> %
> [{
> %%BeginFeature: *InputSlot Upper
> << /MediaPosition 3 >> setpagedevice
> %%EndFeature
> } stopped cleartomark
> %%EndPageSetup

You may make use of the standard filtering by CUPS and insert the special
statements by a special filter, say, trayfilter, and force this filter to be
called as the very last filter by inserting the line
*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 trayfilter"
into the PPD (near the beginning, around the general printer properties).

Helge