Resuming job

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jan 5 04:11:48 PST 2010

Gilles Germon wrote:

> cups 1.3.9.17
> Every month, a customer has to print a very big job.
> Details here:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+question/94758
>
> I thought this issue resolved, but the operator called me this morning and
> said: "when I have put new paper into the printer, it has prints a few
> pages (the printer buffer) and has restarted the print job from the
> beginning"
>
> To be short:
> * If  ErrorPolicy is set to stop-printer, cupsenable enable the printer
> but the current job is never requeued.
>
> * If  ErrorPolicy is set to retry-job the job restart from the beginning.
>
> What is the parameter to tell cups : wait until the printer is online and
> continue to print the job
>
> TIA
> Gilles

Gilles,

your proglem is probably that the printer closes the connection after some
timeout value (I know that from various HP printers driven via JetDirect
interfaces). As you use the lpd backend for your printer, there is no chance
to continue the print job after the connection has been closed by the
printer at the interruption point.

As far as I can see, the only chance is - regardless of the backend you use
- to set an infinite idle timeout value on the printer itself, if that is
possible at all.

Helge

P.S.: If the printer offers a well implemented IPP interface, it could be
possible to qurey the printer for the successfully printed sheets or pages
and continue from that point at the job restart, but I'm not sure if CUPS
already supports a job resume like this.