Resuming job

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jan 5 07:55:39 PST 2010

Gilles Germon wrote:

>> > cups 1.3.9.17
>> > Every month, a customer has to print a very big job.
>> > Details here:
>> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+question/94758
>> >
>> > I thought this issue resolved, but the operator called me this morning
>> > and said: "when I have put new paper into the printer, it has prints a
>> > few pages (the printer buffer) and has restarted the print job from the
>> > beginning"
>> >
>> > To be short:
>> > * If  ErrorPolicy is set to stop-printer, cupsenable enable the printer
>> > but the current job is never requeued.
>> >
>> > * If  ErrorPolicy is set to retry-job the job restart from the
>> > beginning.
>> >
>> > What is the parameter to tell cups : wait until the printer is online
>> > and continue to print the job
>> >
>> > TIA
>> > Gilles
>>
>> Gilles,
>>
>> your proglem is probably that the printer closes the connection after
>> some timeout value (I know that from various HP printers driven via
>> JetDirect interfaces). As you use the lpd backend for your printer, there
>> is no chance to continue the print job after the connection has been
>> closed by the printer at the interruption point.
>>
>> As far as I can see, the only chance is - regardless of the backend you
>> use - to set an infinite idle timeout value on the printer itself, if
>> that is possible at all.
>>
>> Helge
>>
>> P.S.: If the printer offers a well implemented IPP interface, it could be
>> possible to qurey the printer for the successfully printed sheets or
>> pages and continue from that point at the job restart, but I'm not sure
>> if CUPS already supports a job resume like this.
>>
> Helge,
>
> Thank you for your attention.
> I am pretty sure that it is not a printer problem because it worked for
> years with the same printer and the same application. The only thing that
> has changed is the linux server, the old server was a 2.4 kernel with cups
> 1.1.19. This problem only appears after the new server with Ubuntu 9.04
> and cups 1.3.9.17 have been in place. I seen in cupsd.conf of an old
> server KeepAlive and KeepAliveTimeout parameters are set. Do you think
> this may have something to do with this problem?
>
> Gilles

Gilles,

if the job-orginating host and the CUPS-server are different machines, you
could try to re-insert the keepalive statements. Though the CUPS
documentation tells that this feature is on by default in HTTP 1.1, it might
be that the Ubuntu folks decided to change the default ...

Perhaps you could pst (an URL to) the complete chunk of your error_log
containing all the log lines of this job so that it is possible to
reconstruct the complete job's history?

Helge

P.S. I've looked into the sources of the LPD backend in both 1.1.19 and
1.3.9 and couldn't find any serious differences with respect to timeout
handling. Especially there is no such message during writing of the data
file itself.