Postscript prints as text when coming from app, but OK when coming from file.

Robert Washburne rcw15 at turing.hbg.psu.edu
Thu Jan 7 08:59:30 PST 2010

Issue
=====
Using the Print command from Firefox, OpenOffice3, etc. sends a Postscript file to the printer which prints out as Postscript source rather than the requested page.

If I tell Firefox to Print-to-File it creates a Postscript file.  If I then print that file using "lp -d printername filename" the file prints correctly and I get my web page printed.

I cannot find any difference between the source which printed out and the file.

Environment
HP LaserJet 4000 tn network printer with JetDirect card.  IP on same LAN as server. Printer personality set to Auto.
Server is Sunfire x86 architecture running Solaris 10u7
CUPS 1.3.10 precompiled for Solaris x86 from blastwave.org

I can print any plain text file with "lp -d printername filename"
I can take any plain text file and convert it to a Postscript file with "enscript"  Any Postscript file, including those made with enscript, sent to printer with "lp -d printername filename" prints correctly.
Only when I request that something print directly from an application does it come out in Postscript source.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am running out of hair to pull out. :-)
TIA!  Bob W.