Resuming job

Gilles Germon ggermon at soubabere.fr
Fri Jan 8 03:07:30 PST 2010

> > > Helge,
> > >
> > > Yesterday evening I did launch an edition on the server.
> > > You could find the error_log file here :
> > > http://www.soubabere.fr/errorlogcups.txt (this is a huge file 2.8Mb) The
> > > job is 302062 and another job (302078) has been sent by a cron job at
> > > 23:00 All the night long, we can see every 5 minutes [Job 302078]
> > > recoverable: Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds ...
> > > but nothing with the first job 302062 ??? I don't know why cups restart at
> > > 07:36 every morning, surely a cron job but I can't find it. When the
> > > operator puts paper in the printer, it prints the buffer, print the job
> > > 302078 and restart the job 302062 from the beginning.
> >
> > Well, the main problem is the dayly CUPS restart at 07:36. This stops all
> > jobs; the scheduler starts all not yet completed jobs from the beginning.
> > BTW, your system seems not to do a well behaved restart, as the messages
> > "Scheduler shutting down normally" and "Savinf job cache file ..." are
> > missing in your error_log.
> >
> > As I have no Ubuntu system available to look into, I do not know how the
> > restart is scheduled - I suggest to look into the documentation regarding
> > system administration or ask for more info in the various Ubuntu forums.
> >
> > Helge
> >

> Helge,
>
> I have posted the problem in ubuntu forum but I have received no response so far.
> I still can not figure out why cups restarts, but what is the default value for ReloadTimeout, or can I get his current value, or how can I set it to infinite to be sure it is not this parameter that makes cups restart, 20000000 like JobRetryLimit?
>
> Gilles

Yesterday evening I restart cups with ReloadTimeout 2000000000
This morning the customer calls me and said "not any printer no longer prints"
I logged on the server, cupsd was running, but lpstat hang
#service cups stop; #service cups start and all is fine now
Apparently cups hang at 07:34am and the last lines in error_log were reports lines (Report:string-pool-total-bytes=)
I posted in bugs.launchpad.net and I'm waiting
I think I'll remove ReloadTimeout from cupsd.conf to avoid cups hang every morning.

Gilles