[cups.general] Cannot delete default printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 13 10:09:38 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 1:19 AM, GP Power wrote:
> Problem 1a:
> I cannot delete the default printer in the web interface because the printer configuration is set to the same IP address as the machine I'm using for remote system administration.  Since 'localhost = 192.168.1.102', clicking on 'Delete printer' in the web interface fails as it tries to execute:

OK, so first I sincerely hope you haven't set localhost to 192.168.1.102 in your /etc/hosts file - that is guaranteed to hose up a lot of things (not use CUPS). The "localhost" name is reserved for the loopback interface (127.0.0.1 and ::1)

Second, I'm guessing this is a known URI-rewrite bug in CUPS 1.2.x that was fixed in 1.3.x.

> Problem 1b:
> I cannot delete the printer info from the command line because I can't find where it's being stored.
> /etc/cups/printers.conf and /etc/cups/classes.conf do not exist, so where is the above info recorded?

If the printer is local it definitely should be in /etc/cups/printers.conf; if it is remote then you'll find it in the /var/cache/cups/remote.cache file.

The "lpadmin" command can be used to delete printers, however a remote printer that is auto-added will just come back the next time the local cupsd sees the printer on the network (by default 30 seconds):

    lpadmin -x printername