[cups.general] printing problem with Brother all in one

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Jan 19 05:13:47 PST 2010

Hello,

On Jan 19 04:01 Frank Russell wrote (shortened):
> i am using Opensuse 11.1 and running a
> Brother MFC-5460CN with Cups driver.

Which exact driver do you use?
I guess you downloaded a driver from Brother.
What results
   grep '^\*NickName' /etc/cups/ppd/*

> Occasionally when I first go to print something
> after start up i get pages of postscript code
> which pours out of the printer.
> The printer is attached directly to the network

"Occasionally" indicates that the actual cause is
either unreliably working hardware like unreliably
working network cable connection
or it depends on the particular application program
which sends a print job
or on the file type which is sent to the printer
(e.g. printing PostScript works but PDF fails).

For analysis what the actual cause is, connect the
printer for some tests via USB and additionally see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
"If problems are encountered"

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner