printing problem with Brother all in one

Frank Russell frank at winnardsperch.org
Tue Jan 19 08:17:13 PST 2010

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 19 04:01 Frank Russell wrote (shortened):
> > i am using Opensuse 11.1 and running a
> > Brother MFC-5460CN with Cups driver.
>

> Which exact driver do you use?
> I guess you downloaded a driver from Brother.
> What results
>    grep '^\*NickName' /etc/cups/ppd/*
>

> > Occasionally when I first go to print something
> > after start up i get pages of postscript code
> > which pours out of the printer.
> > The printer is attached directly to the network
>
> "Occasionally" indicates that the actual cause is
> either unreliably working hardware like unreliably
> working network cable connection
> or it depends on the particular application program
> which sends a print job
> or on the file type which is sent to the printer
> (e.g. printing PostScript works but PDF fails).
>
> For analysis what the actual cause is, connect the
> printer for some tests via USB and additionally see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> "If problems are encountered"
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
> AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex

Okay thanks for that the driver is:
Brother MFC-5460CN CUPS v1.1

I say occasionally because there is no reason for it. I have another printer an Epson LX 300 which works perfectly and at first I thought that if I printed something on the epson first that caused the problem. But it is not so. i could be printing an e-mail, a documant, web page. One day it works the next day it does not. I will do as you suggest and see if that help. The network cable unreliability has been suggested before and changed but no difference. People say it must be the 'Pipe'!!

thanks