cups access control

maxmad maxmadmax at web.de
Tue Jan 19 12:05:46 PST 2010

> Debian Linux Lenny

> How can I make a printer visible and accessable only for one group?
> Which parameters have to be set in printers.conf and cupsd.conf?

Thank you for helping. Maybe you read this reply, because I lost your email supplying the important hints!

Your recommendations  have been accommodatet to our needs, since we had no local cups-server installed:

On client:
aptitude install cups

cupsctl --no-share-printers -no-remote-any --no-remote-printers

echo "ServerName localhost" > /etc/cups/client.conf

lpadmin  -p printer_name -E -v ipp://192.168.136.1/printers/printer_name

echo "Default printer_name" > /etc/cups/lpoptions

On server:
cupsctl --share-printers Browsing=No

In cupsd.conf:
<Location /printers/printer_name>