page_log is empty

Timo mailtohagen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 07:44:48 PST 2010

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 21 00:52 Timo wrote (shortened):
> >>
> >> If you are using something other than a plain PPD for a PostScript
> >> (with no cupsFilter lines), then CUPS will do the page logging for
> >> you.  Otherwise, the driver MUST provide the page logging.
> >>
> >> So again, what drivers are you using?  What printers?
> >>
> >> ___________________________________________________
> >> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer

> > I am using the drivers provided on openprinting.org
> > our institute's printers basically are:
> >
> > - Infotec MP 2550
> > - Ricoh Afifio SP C811DN
> > - HP Color Laser Jet 2605
> > - HP Laserjet 1320
> > - HP Laserjet 4250
> > - HP DesignJet T1100 MFP
> > - HP DesignJet T1100ps
>
> The command
>    egrep -i '^\*nickname|^\*cupsfilter' /etc/cups/ppd/*
> shows the most interesting entries regarding "driver"
> in the PPDs which you actually use for your printers.
>
> For PostScript printers prefer an original PPD from
> the manufacturer. A decent PostScript printer is always
> accompanied by a suitable PPD file of the manufacturer.
> The printer manufacturer's PPD file ensures that all
> the functions of the PostScript printer can be used.
> All PostScript printers work with "generic PostScript"
> PPD files, but then you will not get access to all
> the printer specific functionality.
>
> Also openprinting.org provides original manufacturer
> PPDs, see
> http://www.openprinting.org/driver_list.cgi
>
> For basic information about "dirver" versus "PPD"
> you may like to have a look at
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
> AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex

Hello Johannes,

thank you for replying. Until now, I tested printing only for the HP 4250 because I still have a major problem with Kerberos authentication and therefore, I did not add the other printers yet (see my other posting).

The output of your command is:

[root at vlinux002 ~]# egrep -i '^\*nickname|^\*cupsfilter' /etc/cups/ppd/*
/etc/cups/ppd/HP4250.ppd:*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP4250.ppd:*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"
/etc/cups/ppd/HP4250.ppd:*NickName:      "HP LaserJet 4250 Foomatic/Postscript"
/etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh_Aficio_SP_C811DN.ppd:*NickName: "Ricoh Aficio SP C811DN PS"
/etc/cups/ppd/Ricoh_Aficio_SP_C811DN.ppd:*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

What does this tell me / you? Why are there no entries in the page_log, are the drivers used by me the wrong ones? Thank you.