[cups.general] PCL and non-PCL output to same printer?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jan 22 15:36:15 PST 2010

On Jan 22, 2010, at 2:37 PM, John MacLerran wrote:
> When we allow CUPS to 'pretty format' the output, then we get the raw PCL escape codes printed on the page, formatted and in the same font as the pretty output.
>
> We'd appreciate any pointers, tips, tricks, or even an "it's not possible".  At least, that way we'd know it's not possible.

OK, so this *is* possible by tweaking the application/vnd.cups-raw MIME media type definition in the mime.types file (or better - create your own local.types file that extends the current definition...)

Basically you need to identify unique characters in the file, typically at the beginning, that the PCL output contains. Once CUPS knows that the file is raw PCL data, it will just pass the data through to the printer instead of filtering it.

"man mime.types" for information about the format. For example, if your PCL files start with ESC E your /etc/cups/local.types file would contain:

    application/vnd.cups-raw string(0,<1B>E)