PCL and non-PCL output to same printer?

John MacLerran macljohn at isu.edu
Tue Jan 26 13:25:28 PST 2010

Thank you Michael,

You wrote:

> "man mime.types" for information about the format. For example, if your =
> PCL files start with ESC E your /etc/cups/local.types file would =
> contain:
>
>     application/vnd.cups-raw string(0,<1B>E)

We put that in, and it does work for our PCL-format application, but we get no output from our text-only application. We get a CUPS cover page, but no output. Incidentally, we get the same thing (cover page but no output) even if we try to send a plain-text file to the printer using lp -d<queuename> <filename> from the Solaris command line.  Unfortunately, I'm not the unix sysadmin, so I can't do a man on mime.types.  Are there other options we must put in the local.types file to make it work with plain-text?

-john maclerran
Idaho State University