[cups.general] printing using windows cups driver

Maysara A. Abdulhaq maysara.abdulhaq at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:06:26 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> Maysara A. Abdulhaq wrote:
>
> > I have switched to cups printing server recently, and im using cups
> > windows driver on windows clients. im having trouble mainly in two arias:
>
> Sorry I can't help with your problem,
> but what _is_ a Windows CUPS driver?
Thank you for your response,

By cups windows driver i mean driver provided by cups for download
along side the cups printing server, allowing us to send postscript
(might need the combination with adobe drivers) to cups which will
then convert it to whatever the printer needs (conversion/processing
done on server)!

It is covered in cups documentation, in section "From Windows Clients
to a CUPS/Samba Print Server" here:

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html

This way i have a single driver for all clients (hopefully it will
support 64bit systems and vista soon), which make it very easy to
install any printer, a unified driver.

> I have Windows machines on my Linux (Fedora/CentOS) LAN,
> and I just give the URL of the CentOS CUPS server on the Windows machines,
> and this seems to work.
> Is there something else I could or should do?
Well, if you enable cups based printing in samba, and use the above
mentioned drivers ! can tell me if you are getting similar problems or
not ?