[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3472: Duplex printing with HP Laserjet 5M on Ubuntu 8.10 not working

Tobias tprager at gmx.de
Sun Jan 10 13:00:13 PST 2010

[STR New]

Hello CUPS team,

My printer is a HP Laserjet 5M and my OS is Ubuntu 8.10. The Duplex
printing unit is recognized by the printer driver and duplex option is
available in the printer config window of all application. Nevertheless I
can't print duplex (two-sided) in any application.

Checking the CUPS webinterface I get a strange error message on the page
with the printer settings:
"Duplex unit" is shown as "Installed" and "Totalmemory" is shown as 4-11MB
(8MB actually installed). The error messages says that there is a conflict
between the parameters "Duplex Unit" and "Total memory". Does that mean
CUPS says there is not enough memory for duplex printing?

After hours of searching the internet I downloaded a trial version of
Turboprint (alternative Linux printing driver). Using the Turboprint
driver duplex printing works out of the box. It seems something is wrong
with cups.

Attached you will find the PPD files for CUPS and TurboPrint, the cups
error-log and a trouble-shooting-log-file.

I hope you can help me solving this issue.

Cheers, Tobias

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3472
Version: 1.3.9