Can't access spool folder

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Fri Jul 2 01:09:41 PDT 2010

Daniel Stoeck wrote:

>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I am using Helge Blischke's prtofile backend and when I try to print I
>> > get an error message like this: "/private/var/spool/cups/c00061: No
>> > such file or directory"
>> >
>> > /private/var/spool/cups has 710 permissions and belongs to root:_lp
>> > /private/var/spool/cups/c00061 has 600 permissions and belongs to
>> > root:_lp (61 is the jobid)
>> >
>> > Obviously the printer cannot spool into its spool directory. But how
>> > can I avoid this permission issue?
>> >
>> > The backend has 700 permissions to make it run as root.
>> > The Device_URI is "prtofile:///Volumes/MacHD/output/ps/"
>> > The given PPD is the common Adobe Distiller PPD
>> >
>> > Why does the printer not have permission to write into its spool
>> > folder? Can I just change the permissions of the spool folder to
>> > anything else to fix this?
>> >
>> > Greetings from Germany,
>> > Daniel
>>
>> Daniel,
>>
>> could you please look into your cupsd.conf, if you there have a directive
>> reading
>> RequestRoot some_absolute_or_relatiove_path
>> where "some_absolute_or_relative_path" is different from
>> "/private/var/spool/cups" ?
>>
>> What disturbes me is that error message you posted tells "No such file or
>> directory". That sould mean that the environment variable
>> CUPS_REQUESTROOT isn't set correctly.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> I am sorry, but there is no "RequestRoot" entry at all in my cupsd.conf.
> If you want to take a look into the cupsd.conf file (or any other file) I
> will send it to you.
>
> Daniel

Please post the cupsd.conf and do a little test as follows:

(1) cupsctl --debug-logging
(2) print something using this backend (a test page will be sufficient)
(3) cupsctl --no-debug-logging

and post the part of /var/log/cups/error_log containing the debugged part
(or the whole log if it is easier to you).

Helge

P.S.: mail this directly to me if you like.