[cups.general] Determining Printer URI When Adding a Printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Jul 7 01:23:42 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Jul 6 15:59 Michael Convey wrote (shortened):
> I find it difficult to determine the correct URI syntax
> when adding a network printer.
> Is there a command or utility to help determine this?

See
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/network.html

As root run
   lpinfo -l -v
to get the autodetected network printers i.e. those network
printers which respond to some "old well known" SNMP requests
which are accessible by default in your local network, see
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/ref-snmp-conf.html

If the manufacturer of your network printer made it so that
it does not respond to the "old well known" SNMP requests,
the manufacturer of your network printer may not want that
his particular devices can be autodetected as usual.

In this case it might help to inform the manufacturer of your
network printer that it is a bad design idea not to support
at least the "old well known" de facto standards - unless
your network printer is a very cheap one where the manufacturer
cannot implement such kind of support for such a low price.

> Any effort underway to standardize this?

There are "old well known" de facto standards.

If all manufacturers of network printers would make their devices
so that they support at least the "old well known" de facto standards...

Furthermore there is for example the "PWG MIB Work Group", see
http://www.pwg.org/mib/index.html
but this is not yet a "well known" standard which is implemented
in the usual normal network printers.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex