[cups.general] Printing jobs in parallel

Bernhard R. Fischer bf at abenteuerland.at
Tue Jul 13 05:58:23 PDT 2010

Hi!

Regularly, I have to print many (100 - 200) different small PDF documents (2 -
6 pages) to a Canon iR3045 copy machine. I use Debian Linux and Cups. Printing
to this printer basically works fine.

Unfortunately, Cups sends all documents in the print queue one by one to the
printer. Cups waits until the previous document is finished until it sends the
next one.

This causes a very long total time of printing of all docs because of the
brakes caused by file transmission time between the docs and the time that the
printer needs for stopping and starting its cylinders.

Because the printer is a big copy machine, it handles its one queue. Thus it
is preferable to send several documents to the printer without waiting for
them to be printed out.

How can I provoke Cups to do so?

Best regards,
Bernhard