[cups.general] Printing jobs in parallel

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Jul 13 09:50:33 PDT 2010

Bernhard R. Fischer wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Regularly, I have to print many (100 - 200) different small PDF documents
> (2 - 6 pages) to a Canon iR3045 copy machine. I use Debian Linux and Cups.
> Printing to this printer basically works fine.
>
> Unfortunately, Cups sends all documents in the print queue one by one to
> the printer. Cups waits until the previous document is finished until it
> sends the next one.
>
> This causes a very long total time of printing of all docs because of the
> brakes caused by file transmission time between the docs and the time that
> the printer needs for stopping and starting its cylinders.
>
> Because the printer is a big copy machine, it handles its one queue. Thus
> it is preferable to send several documents to the printer without waiting
> for them to be printed out.
>
> How can I provoke Cups to do so?
>
> Best regards,
> Bernhard

If the printer supports IPP (and implements it correctly), you might use the
URI option "waitjob=off".

Otherwise I'd suggest you print a sample job (a test page will be
sufficient) with log level set to debug (or even debug2) and post (an URL
to) it. As I fixed a similar problem with Xerox DocuTechs some time ago, I
might look if it can be fixed with a fairly small modification of the
backend you use for that printer.

Helge