[cups.general] CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Martin Schuster (IFKL IT OS DS CD) Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Mon Jul 19 05:41:00 PDT 2010

On 07/19/2010 01:57 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> [...]
> and the result is not so bad for certain European languages; I've
> placed a copy here: http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-PDF-UTF8.pdf
>
> Certain languages are not printed, for example: Greek, Hebrew, Chineese,...

The problem seems to be that the font that you embed in your PDF doesn't
have characters for those languages -- if you c&p the little boxes from
your PDF to some other application, you will get the correct chars
(provided you have installed fonts with the necessary glyphs on your
system).

So your "Griechisch" line says:  α ρ ι σ ι ο ύ κ α ι τ α πε ρ ί χ ω ρ α κ α ι
β ρ ί σ κ ε τ α ι σ ε έ ν α λ

but the included "Monospace" font only knows the glyph for "π"

> Questions:
> 1) What can I do to fix this?
Don't know :)

> 2) Is there some good documentation which addresses the thematic: CUPS
> / UTF-8 / fonts?

I think this is not a CUPS-problem.

hth,
Infineon Technologies IT-Services GmbH   Martin.Schuster1 at infineon.com
Lakeside B05, 9020 Klagenfurt, Austria   Martin Schuster
         FB: LG Klagenfurt, FN 246787y   +43 5 1777 3517