CUPS 1.4.3 && printing UTF-8 text

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Jul 20 01:23:04 PDT 2010

Hello Helge,
Thanks for your kind reply;

> The Monospace font family (originally licensed from Bitstream) is part of
> the CUPS 1.4.x distribution (short of Mac OS X, I guess). A first glance at
> one of these fonts (Monospace, the plain style font) shows that the glyph
> collection seems to cover (nearly?) all latin based scripts, including
> cyrillic, but lacks greek and the more exotic ones, especially the asian
> ones.

Just to make sure, you are talking about cups-1.4.3/fonts/Monospace file... how can I make this visible (well, I can open it with vi, but this is not what I mean :-))

> You will need to get (buy?) a full featured monospaced font and probably
> modify the texttops filter to handle that fon(s) if it is not a plain type1
> font.

Interesting is that when I open the original UTF-8 text file in KDE's KWrite, then some of the missing glyphs are there, not all but at least Greek.
I've place an image of KWrite screen here:
http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8.jpg
and the original UTF-8 text file as well:
http://www.unixarea.de/CUPS-UTF8.txt

Would it be possible to use somehow the KDE's font for CUPS?
Thanks

    Matthias