Backend implementing a polling-queue

Christian Reiner reiner at imageware.de
Tue Jul 20 01:40:19 PDT 2010

I am looking for a backend that implements a polling strategy:
- print jobs are queued as usual
- no communication/push to a device is done/possible
- the queue waits for a client to connect and retrieve print jobs
Reason for this requirement is simply network topology.

Now I am certainly willing to implement such a backend, but before starting it makes sense to look at existing things. However digging google for things like "cups backend polling" obviously cannot lead to any meaningful result :-(

So my questions are:
1.) does something in the direction of what I requested above exist ?
2.) are there things that stand against such a scheme ?
3.) do you have suggestions about the right way to implement this ?

Thanks,
arkascha