Unable to rotate page, (Dymo label)

John Russell JohnRussell at edsolution.nl
Fri Jul 23 01:20:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

I'll try to give some info about how i use cups before i explain the problem.

We have a php program (fpdf) running on a local server (Fedora 6 Linux, CUPS 1.2.12) making different pdfs,
(Paper sizes: A4 and Dymo 99010).
When a pdf is written to disk the php program executes a printer order like this on the server:
( lp -d Dymo400Office /home/pdfuser/tmp/op624645_100715143637.pdf )
The dymo is connected to a Windows XP machine and cups connects to it via samba
and the A4 papers are being sent to a hp laserjet via lpd (onboard nic).

All was running quite well for a couple years but then
some hardware on the server started failing we needed to replace the machine.

So after installing Fedora 9 (yeah 9) i installed all the other daemons that we needed,
transfered cups config from the old to new server.
The A4 pdf was working just fine but when i tested the labels the margins were wrong
(about 5mm from top and bottom was cut away).
So i started trying different ppd files (think i tried about 4 version).
After that i updated CUPS from 1.3.xx to version 1.4.4 no difference (tried all ppds again just to be sure).

The strange thing was when i printed a cups test page on the old and the new server they were the same
(except for the content is updated with the new CUPS version but it printed with the margins just fine).

Then i started to edit the ppd ImageableArea
After allot of tweaking i got some results that i can use for one type of label-pdf.
But for couple labels i need the margin for the left side to be very small, after some fiddling i noticed (a little bit late) that the newer versions of CUPS was rotating my label 180 degrees.
I checked the *LandscapeOrientation: Plus90 in the ppd file that was used on the old server. (also changing this value does nothing ( i restarted CUPS between changes)).

I tried all the variations of the '-o orientation-requested=x' but no luck with that.

After hours (read days) of trying and using google i'm not sure when i can try next.

Cheers,

Jonh