[cups.general] CUPS web interface generating absolute URLs for printers with "loopback" addresses

Eric Michaelis combinare at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:58:12 PDT 2010

I believe I've figured this out. On a default AIX install, the hosts file
has the entry as I listed below. From what I can tell of reading the CUPS
code (keeping in mind that I haven't written anything in C in 15 years),
CUPS is getting "loopback" as the name for that IP, comparing it to
"localhost" (which fails), and rewriting all the URLs as http://loopback....

Reversing the order of the entries in /etc/hosts (i.e., changing it to:
127.0.0.1    localhost   loopback) seems to fix this behavior.

Thanks!

Eric