Alignment problems with printer Brother MFC-7420 (openSUSE 11.3, KDE 4.4)

Robert Peterson homoludens1000 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 00:08:13 PDT 2010

I upgraded to (= installed from scratch) openSUSE 11.3 / KDE 4.4 the other day, and while under the previous versions I never had problems with my printer, this time I get an alignment problem when printing out pages after reinstalling the driver. (See here for a screenshot: http://thumbnails27.imagebam.com/9018/b2474790176712.jpg)

What I did:

I got the lpr driver and cupswrapper from the Brother.co.jp homepage and installed them in this order (just as I did before, and without any problems). (http://solutions.brother.co.jp/support/os/linux/index.html)

I haven't been able to compare versions since I didn't pay attention last time, but the printer is an older model so I don't think the driver / cupswrapper have been changed.

My questions:
(1.) What is the likely source of the problem?

- the printer driver / cupswrapper (seems unlikely to me since I never had problems before)
- something about openSuSE 11.3? (since things worked fine under 11.2, but aren't now)
- something about the new cups version? (openSUSE 11.3 comes with cups 1.4.4)

(2.) How can I fix this problem?

Thanks!