[cups.general] Changes to filters in 1.4

Matt LaPlante mattl at google.com
Mon Jul 26 18:48:27 PDT 2010

I'm attempting to upgrade an existing server from 1.3 to 1.4 (Ubuntu
versions).

The problem I've run into is that printing to any of the existing
printers results in cups throwing an error that the type is unknown
(postscript or raw).  This used to just work, and the
mime.types/mime.convs do have application/vnd.cups-raw etc
uncommented.

I re-created one of the existing printer configs using the UI, and I
noticed that now it's inserting Filter directives in printers.conf
where there were not previously any.  This indeed seems to fix the
problem of unknown types.  But why is it necessary, and where is it
documented that this changed?  The release notes don't mention it (at
least in a way that's apparent to me).  Why isn't having these types
in mime.* enough anymore?