[cups.general] Sense and nonsense of RIPCache

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 08:10:18 PDT 2010

On Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:58:15 am Till Kamppeter did opine:

> On 07/27/2010 04:16 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > It appears some distros are already doing this Till, I cannot grep for
> > RIPCache in my /etc/cups directory.  And cups is reported to be:
> >
> > cups-1.4.4-3pclos2010
> >
> > This is PClinuxOS-2010-7 in 32 bit mode.
> > And so far it has 'just worked' most of the time.
>
> Note that if RIPCache is not set in cupsd.conf that it is then set to 8
> MB (1/4 of system RAM under Debian/Ubuntu) by the upstream code of CUPS.
> See scheduler/conf.c. The environment variable RIP_MAX_CACHE is always
> set, seescheduler/job.c.
>
> The only way to override the RIPCache facility of CUPS is
>
> cupsctl RIPCache=auto

Ahh, so my install does suffer from this.  Does this need to be put in ones
rc.local, and will it survive a cupsd restart?

Or does it take a restart to implement it once the above command has been
issued?

And since I have two printers, is it printer specific?

The only problem I have had so far was sending a targetz pdf to it from
acroread or its recent substitute telling it I wanted 50 copies, then
sending another I wanted 20 copies of.  My Brother laser ran out of paper,
which caused dbus-notify to go to 99% of one core.  Adding paper, the
printer finished the job ok, but dbus-notify stayed out in lala land, and
killing it killed kmail and much of x.  It was easier to reboot, but
rebooting to 2.6.35-rc6 failed to find the network, so I had to do a full
power down and rebooted to the PClinuxOS kernel as the ati drivers work
faster than the radeon drivers.  By about 2000  fps.

> Filters using the RIP_MAX_CACHE environment variable expect a number and
> optionally a unit and so they fall back to their own default with this
> setting. Then one could modify Ghostscript to simply fall back to
> Ghostscript's method instead of 8 MB if RIP_MAX_CACHE does consist of
> number and unit.
>
>     Till

And this then is a bug worth fixing.

Thanks Till.