[cups.general] Sense and nonsense of RIPCache

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 08:36:52 PDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 05:10 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> cupsctl RIPCache=auto
>>

> Ahh, so my install does suffer from this.  Does this need to be put in ones
> rc.local, and will it survive a cupsd restart?
>
> Or does it take a restart to implement it once the above command has been
> issued?
>
> And since I have two printers, is it printer specific?

You run the command once and it changes cupsd.conf and afterwards
restarts CUPS. so the change will be active immediately and stay after
reboots.

> The only problem I have had so far was sending a targetz pdf to it from
> acroread or its recent substitute telling it I wanted 50 copies, then
> sending another I wanted 20 copies of.  My Brother laser ran out of paper,
> which caused dbus-notify to go to 99% of one core.  Adding paper, the
> printer finished the job ok, but dbus-notify stayed out in lala land, and
> killing it killed kmail and much of x.  It was easier to reboot, but
> rebooting to 2.6.35-rc6 failed to find the network, so I had to do a full
> power down and rebooted to the PClinuxOS kernel as the ati drivers work
> faster than the radeon drivers.  By about 2000  fps.

This looks like a bug in dbus-notify and not like a problem of
rendering. Also multiple copies do not change the memory consumption of
Ghostscript. Ghostscript does never hold more than one page in memory.

    Till