How to print landscape files from another server via LPD?

John MacLerran macljohn at isu.edu
Tue Jul 27 11:11:30 PDT 2010

Dear CUPS Forum members

I'm trying to set up a queue in CUPS to print landscape all the time. I have searched the documentation and forums, and found several similar questions, but the solutions presented there did not help.

The reason I need this is that our ERP system sends its reports in 132 column landscape format by default, and I'm trying to set up  a CUPS queue that will accept that output and print it. Alternatively, I'm trying to get a defnintive answer of "no, this can't be done", so that I can present other, better options (like pdf printing and electronic delivery of reports), and still have done due diligence.

There are a few wrinkles, however. Our ERP servers are running Solaris 10, using LPD to send the output to a linux box that acts as our print server.

On Solaris, the print queue is configured like this (the lines don't wrap):

ccenterapp_land:\
        :printer-uri-supported=lpd\://anaerobic.isu.edu/printers/ccenterapp_land#Solaris:\
        :bsdaddr=anaerobic.isu.edu,ccenterapp_land,Solaris:

(Anaerobic is our Linux box. It is Red Hat Enterprise 5.5 and cups 1.3.7, patch level 18, the Red Hat default.)

On Linux, our lpoptions file for this queue looks like this (again, no wrap in the real file):

     Default ccenterapp_land landscape=true cpi=14 lpi=8 page-left=36 page-right=36      page-top=36 page-bottom=36

When I send a 132-column text file from Linux, it prints correctly -- output is flipped landscape, and extends out to the 132-column mark, using this lp command:

lp -d ccenterapp_land testprint.txt

However, when I send that exact same test file from the Solaris boxes, using the same lp command, I get output that is partially correct.  It is flipped landscape, but the lines are wrapped into portrait margins -- 101 columns, to be exact.

I specified various options in the cups-lpd config file (xinitd, I think, I'm not the linux box's sysadmin), but, frankly, I'm not sure what options to try, and neither a search here, nor a google search, turned up a list of what options are valid.

The current cups-lpd config entry looks like this:

    service printer
    {
        disable = no
        socket_type = stream
        protocol = tcp
        wait = no
        user = lp
        server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
        server_args  = -o job-sheets=none,none
     }

In the server_args parameter, I've tried the following options:

 -o document-format=application/octet-stream  -- as indicated by the man page
 -o document-format=application/vnd.cups-raw  -- from a google search
 -o landscape                                 -- a s.w.a.g. on my part

Neither of which helped. The vnd.cups-raw one really clobbered the output -- reducing it to one line, portrait, that ran off the right side of the page and was dropped.

What am I missing? How can I make the linux queue print landscape, all 132 columns, without wrapping, when the file is sent from Solaris?

Thank you
-John MacLerran
macljohn at isu.edu