CUPS Client timeout.

Kapilraj Koroth kapilrajk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 13:33:32 PDT 2010

I have configured all the enterprise printers on a printer let us call is PS1. All my SAP app servers and other unix systems that needs to print has this line in the client.conf

ServerName PS1

Everything works fine. Print jobs can be fired, I can cancel jobs administer printers etc etc ...

But when I make the server PS1 unavailable by bringing the OS down or shutdown the cupsd, all the lp*** commands hang indefinitely. I would like this behavior changed to,

a) Either locally queue them until PS1 becomes available # Preferred option.
b) Give an error return code (RC) and exit

Is this possible ? I am using CUPS on Redhat 5 .

Regards, Kaps