SLOW * A better PPD than HP-LaserJet_4_Plus-hpijs.ppd

ed smith ed.smith at mcquay.com
Thu Jul 29 08:14:20 PDT 2010

Greetings,

Probably covering old ground but I have to ask.
I am using this PPD file for many of our older HP LJ 4's,5's and 4000's.

HP LaserJet 4 Plus

It's the only one that seems to properly print text, PS and plot reports. I user these filters from within the aforementioned foomatice PPD:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"
*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-web 0 -"
*cupsFilter:    "application/hp-HPGL 0 hpgltops"

It is very reliable but runs very slow, about a page per 45 secs. This happens even on the local Gig/FE ethernet, not just over the WAN. I've tried tweaking the DPS, no change.

Other filters (mostly HP 8x00 series) are faster but at least one type of report prints gibberish, usually text, as the printer always seems to think the report is PS, when it is not.

Running Cups 1.2.6 on Solaris 10 relase 8/07.
Thanks for your time.

Also interested in location of Cups 1.3 or latest approved binaries for Solaris 10.

Thanks,
Ed Smith